Monday 1 February 2010

Sewing Machine Adventures: It's About Time

I got a sewing machine for Christmas from my husband.  Used, and passed along through the family, it's nothing spectacular, hasn't got any special feet, or stitches, and it certainly can't sew fancy pictures like my mom's Pfaff.  But it stitches a straight line and a few sizes of zig-zags, and it's great for lil' ol' begginning me.
A sewing machine was #1 on my Christmas list, and when it actually came, I found out that I was scared silly of the thing.  I had sewn some before - my mom having been an avid seamstress when her kids were small - but never attempted anything "real" - nothing more than a few simple straight lines of stitches.  And I never had to wind a bobbin or thread the needle or set the tension.  Now this was all my job, and it seemed a big mountain to climb before I could get to the actual sewing part of having a sewing machine.

Last week I spent a few days at my parent's house, and my sewing machine came with me - for an impromptu (and FREE) quickie sewing lesson from Mom.  We sat down together and figured out how to load the bobbin after 12 or 13 tries.  We worked on adjusting tension and talked about fabric choices and sewing patterns and what needles to use with what weight of cloth.

I practiced a few stitches on a scrap piece of cotton, and today I made the first of what I hope will be many sewing projects.

I had received a few mini charm packs of baby-patterned flannelette last year, and saved them - even though I had no intention of sewing anything with them at the time.  Tonight, inspired by this post I turned 6 pre-cut squares of fabric and some of the stuffing out of an old pillow into a brand new soft cube-toy for William.
 
It's not all yellow - just the background of the stars, but I'm still learning about lighting and flash and all the features of my camera.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! I had my grandma's sewing machine for years, but was too scared to use it! Now, I use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails